Low-carb Mac and Peas
This plant based creamy sauce pairs well with just about anything, but it’s also super satisfying as a classic mac and cheese with low carb penne.
1-2 packages of Liviva Shirataki Penne
2 cups cashews
½ butternut squash, cubed
1-2 cups of vegetable broth
½ tsp onion powder
6 cloves garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp paprika
¼ cup chives
2 cups frozen peas
salt and pepper to taste
- Use one or two packages of pasta, depending on how much sauce you like with your noodles. Prepare according to package directions. Set aside.
- In a bowl, place the cashews and cover with boiling water. Let sit for 15 minutes, the strain.
- Peel and cube the butternut squash and boil in an instant pot (manual mode for 4 minutes) or on the stovetop (15 minutes) or until the squash is soft and can be pierced by a fork. Strain any remaining water.
- Add the squash, cashews, onion powder, garlic, nutritional yeast, paprika, salt and pepper and half of the broth to a blender. Puree and slowly add more broth if needed for a creamy consistency.
- In a skillet, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the penne, blended sauce and frozen peas. Saute until warm, top with diced chives and serve immediately.
You may have extra sauce leftover. Reheat it to enjoy more pasta or even on top of steamed green veggies like broccoli.