Spicy Arrabiata Spaghetti with Grilled Peppers
Here’s a simple pasta sauce with some serious kick. Makes more than enough for 4 people and everyone will be asking where you bought the sauce - little do they know you made it from scratch
1 pkg Liviva Black Bean Spaghetti
2 bell peppers
2 tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion
4 cloves garlic
½ tbsp red pepper flakes
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 28 oz can of whole tomatoes
½ cup fresh basil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- In a grill pan, heat a small amount of olive oil over medium high heat. Once hot, grill the peppers until soft (approx. 5 minutes each side). Remove from heat and chop into small cubes.
- Meanwhile, dice the onion, mince the garlic and roughly chop the basil.
- Warm the remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft (approx 4 minutes). Add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Saute until fragrant (approx 2 minutes).
- Stir in the tomato paste then pour in canned tomatoes. Bring to a slight boil and simmer until tomatoes fall apart and the sauce is reduced (approx 20 minutes), adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold in the fresh basil, grilled peppers and remove from heat. Serve the sauce over hot pasta.
Make additional sauce and freeze leftovers. Both the pasta and sauce freeze very well. You can keep leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
You can add cooked ground beef to the finished sauce before serving to beef up the animal protein.
Optional to serve with parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast.