Black Bean Noodle Huevos
Thought you couldn’t eat pasta for breakfast? Think again! This black bean noodle skillet is full of fiber, protein and healthy fats to balance blood sugar first thing in the AM.
1 pkg Liviva Organic Black Bean Spaghetti
¼ cup avocado oil
½ cup red onion
1 green bell pepper
½ tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 cup cherry tomatoes
½ cup cilantro
¼ cup lime juice
1 tsp garlic powder
2 stalks green onion
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Slice (julienne) half the onion and green pepper into long strips.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a cast iron skillet (or non-stick pan), heat half the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and green pepper. Sprinkle cumin and chili powder, salt and pepper and saute for approx 5 minutes. Set mixture aside and reheat the unwashed pan with the other half of the oil.
- Once the pan is hot add the black bean pasta to the pan, creating four nests (each with a hole in the center). Crack open the eggs and gently place into the nests. Place the cast iron in the oven (If using a non-stick pan, cover and fry) for 10 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Meanwhile, halve the cherry tomatoes and dice the rest of the red onion. Roughly chop the cilantro. Combine in a small bowl with lime juice and garlic powder.
- Slice the avocado into thin strips and roughly chop the green onion.
- Remove the skillet from the oven. Serve the egg nests on a bed of green peppers and top with the cherry tomato salsa, avocado and green onion.
This dish is even better cold - make ahead of time and store in the fridge for up to 3 days for an easy grab-and-go breakfast.