Butternut Bacon Brussels Sprout Pasta
This recipe came from a “let’s throw all of the fall feelings together” impulse and boy are we glad we followed through! This will remain in the permanent rotation because not only is it filling, it is warming and grounding with harvest vegetables.
1 pkg LIVIVA Soybean Spaghetti
1 butternut squash (medium sized)
salt and pepper, to taste
½ pkg of sustainable/ethically sourced bacon
3 cups brussels sprouts
¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and lightly oil a large baking sheet.
- Peel and cube the butternut squash into small pieces, place on the baking sheet in a single layer, season with salt and pepper and roast for 30-40 minutes, until golden.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to package directions, but don’t rinse and set aside. Reserve a few tablespoons of the pasta water.
- Bring a large skillet over medium high heat. Slice the strips of bacon into squares and fry until crispy (approx 5 minutes). Remove the bacon from heat, but don’t wash the pan.
- Dice the shallots, heat a splash of oil in the pan and saute the shallots over medium heat until soft and fragrant (approx 3 minutes).
- While the shallots are cooking, slice off the ends and halve the brussels sprouts. Place them flat on the pan with the shallots and let them fry, without moving them, until the bottoms are crispy and golden brown (approx 5 minutes).
- Return the bacon to the pan, toss in the pasta. Remove the butternut squash from the oven and add to the skillet. Grate the parmesan directly over the skillet.
- Pour in the reserve pasta water one tablespoon at a time and toss all ingredients together until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve hot and top with extra parm, if desired.
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge for 4 days. Be sure to reheat the pasta upon serving leftovers for best consistency.
- To make this recipe dairy-free, simply swap the parmesan cheese for nutritional yeast.
- Keepin’ it vegan? See above dairy swap and trade out the bacon for tempeh or simply top your pasta with coconut bacon once cooked.