Lower Carb Tofu Sauté featuring Shirataki Rice
1 package Liviva Rice Shaped Shirataki
1 yellow onion
1 tbsp ginger
¼ cup cashews
¼ cup lime juice
3 cups bok choy
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp hot sauce
2 tbsp almond butter
2 tbsp tamari
225 g tofu
1 tbsp arrowroot powder
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup shiitake mushrooms
- Prepare the shirataki rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- Prepare the ingredients - finely chop the onion, ginger and cashews. Juice the lime. Cut the bok choy into half pieces.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ginger, sesame oil, hot sauce, almond butter, lime juice and tamari.
- Cut the tofu into strips and coat with the arrowroot powder. Grill the tofu over medium-high heat, with a skillet coated in half of the olive oil, approximately 5 minutes on each side. In the last 2 minutes, add 1/2 of the sauce mixture and continue to cook. Set aside and keep warm.
- Add the remaining half of the olive oil and the rest of the sauce mixture to the pan, sauteing with the onions and mushrooms for 3 minutes or until slightly tender. Set aside with the tofu.
- In the still-warm pan, grill the bok choy, flat side down, for 2 minutes.
- Serve the warm tofu and veggies over the shirataki rice, top with bok choy and crushed cashews.
If you prefer to warm the rice, you can saute with the onions and mushrooms.
You can swap the almond butter and cashews for peanut butter and peanuts. You can also use tempeh (fermented soy) instead of tofu. Also, any mushroom will do.
If you prefer the dish has more sauce, simply double the ingredients for the sauce mixture.
If you'd like to double the recipe or save a serving for leftovers, they'll keep in the fridge up to 4 days.