Thai Coconut Curry Soup
Who needs takeout when you can create this recipe at home? Delicious low carb shirataki fettuccine is the star in this creamy and spicy soup. Try and resist a second helping!
1 pkg shirataki fettuccine
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 small yellow onion
4 cloves garlic
1 tbsp ginger
1 tbsp red curry paste
¼ tsp turmeric
3 cups vegetable broth
1 can full fat coconut milk
2 tbsp tamari (or Bragg’s all purpose liquid soy seasoning)
Juice of ½ lime
1 tbsp sriracha hot sauce
2 cups cremini mushrooms
1 rotisserie or pre-cooked chicken breast (optional)
¼ cup cilantro
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Once the oil is hot, saute the onion until soft and fragrant (approx 3 minutes). Add the garlic, and continue to cook for another 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Mince the ginger and add it to the pot along with the red curry and turmeric. Stir until the spices are fragrant (approximately 2 minutes).
- Pour in the broth and coconut milk and bring to a slight boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, chop the mushrooms and prepare the shirataki noodles.
- Add the mushrooms and noodles, tamari, lime juice and hot sauce to the pot and stir until mushrooms and noodles are warm.
- Optional to add in some pre-cooked chicken with the mushrooms and/or more tamari or hot sauce to taste.
- Pour/scoop into bowls, top with sliced lime and cilantro leaves and serve hot.
- To save as leftovers, simply keep the noodles in a separate container and add to the soup base when you are warming it up. Will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- To keep this recipe vegan, omit the chicken. Optional to add additional plant based protein like cooked tofu or tempeh.